Configuring Netscape Communicator
4.5 - 4.7 for IMAP
Reading email with IMAP requires Netscape Communicator 4.0 or later.
Using the IMAP protocol instead of POP allows a user to read email and
save it on the server from any computer in any location, including home
computers and computers at other institutions. IMAP with SSL, which
Communicator supports, makes the connection secure so that your password
cannot be seen on the network.
To configure your Netscape Communicator to read Cookie.Org email
you will need to complete these one-time setup steps:
- Click on the "Edit" menu and choose "Preferences"
- Click on the plus or triangle in front of "Mail & Newsgroups" so that it shows more items
- Click on "Messages" under "Mail & Newsgroups"
- Change "By default, forward messages" to "Quoted"
- Click on "Formatting" under "Mail & Newsgroups"
- Check "Use the plain text editor to compse messages"
- Click on "Mail Servers" under "Mail & NewsGroups"
- Click "Add..."
- Set the "Server Name:" to "mailhost.cookie.org"
- Set the "Server Type:" to "IMAP"
- Set the "User Name:" to your username
- Check the button "Check for mail every ___ minutes"
- Set the time to check to 10 minutes or more
- Click the "IMAP" tab
- Check the "Use secure connection (SSL)" button
- Click the "Move it to the Trash Folder" button
- Click the "Advanced" tab
- Uncheck the "Allow server to override these namespaces" button
- Click OK in the small "Netscape" window
- Set the "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server:" to your ISP's SMTP server.
- NOTE:Leave the space "Outgoing mail server user name" blank
- NOTE:Leave the "Use Secure Socket Layer (SSL) or TLS for outgoing messages" on "Never"
- Click OK in the "Netscape: Preferences" window
- Exit Communicator
- Re-launch Communicator
- Under the Communicator menu, choose Messenger Mailbox
- A New Site Certificate window will open
- Click Next until you get to the window with these choices:
- Accept this certificate for this session
- Do not accept this certificate and do not connect
- Accept this certificate forever (until it expires)
- Choose the third option Accept this certificate forever (until it expires)
- Click Next until you reach the screen with the Finish button
- Click the Finish button